WHAT ARE REGULAR DENTAL EXAMS?
Regular dental exams are a fundamental part of preventive medical care and are the starting point for future treatments, should they be required.
During a dental exam, our specialists will clean your teeth and look for cavities and gum disease.
The exam includes assessing your risk of developing other oral problems and checking your face, neck, and mouth for abnormalities. A dental exam may also include dental X-rays (radiographs) or other diagnostic procedures.
Our Specialists will talk to you about your diet and oral hygiene habits and will show you the proper brushing and flossing techniques. Other topics may include lifestyle factors that can affect oral health and possible cosmetic enhancements to your teeth.
WHEN TO GET A DENTAL EXAM?
The American Dental Association recommends that adults schedule regular dental exams at intervals determined by a dentist.
Even if you no longer have your natural teeth, it is important that you visit our Doctors for regular dental exams to maintain your oral health and the usefulness of your replacement teeth.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM A DENTAL EXAM?
During a dental exam, our dentists or hygienists:
• Assess your overall oral health and hygiene
• Assess your risk for tooth decay, root decay, and gum or bone disease
• Assess your need for tooth restoration or replacement
• Check your bite and jaw for problems.
• It will remove stains or deposits on your teeth.
• Demonstrate proper cleaning techniques for your teeth or dentures.
• Assess your need for fluoride
• Possibly take dental x-rays or, if necessary, perform other diagnostic procedures.
• During a dental exam, your dentist or hygienist will also ask about your health problems or the medications you take and discuss how they might affect your oral health. If you have diabetes, for example, you are at higher risk for gum disease.
Dental exams can also include advice on diet, use of tobacco products, and other lifestyle factors that can affect oral health.